Field Leader (Hiking) Course
Successful graduates will be certified as OCC 'Outdoor Field Leaders' with a 'Hiking' specialization.
This course is suitable for anyone wanting the FL (Hiking) certification, or planning to become an instructor of this course.
Course fee includes; instruction, student manual (as a pdf), and one year's membership fee to the Outdoor Council of Canada.
Please note: You are required to read the manual and answer the quizzes in it before you come the the course. Once you have registered you will be sent an email containing a link to the manual and quizzes.
The course will be split between in-class learning (65%) and field exercises (35%). The learning format will be primarily guided experiential learning. Topics covered include:
- Understanding the role of the leader and leadership style
- Integrating ‘activity’ ‘participant’ and ‘venue’ characteristics so as to promote event quality and safety
- Constructing an activity plan
- Identifying hazards and mitigation strategies
- Communication and team building between participants, co-leaders and other stakeholders
- Group management in the field
- Enhancing situational awareness for quality and safety management
- Emergency response
- Post trip debriefing and facilitation
The only prerequisite for this course is a love of the outdoors and a passion to share that experience with others.
Cancellation policy: There will be no cancellation fee for COVID-19 related cancellation or postponement. Otherwise, there is a $15 administration fee to cancel up to 7 days prior to the start of the course. No refund available after 7 days prior.